Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Restate Of The Union Address

I've been asked to restate my opinion on the current state of affairs between agents and prospective authors. As a bonus, I'll expand my comments, for the reason you'll read, shortly.

If there were some way to enhance the current wheezy and mechanical system of connecting agents and authors, I'm not only in favor, I'd be one to dive right in. Actually, I am.

As much as I don't want to come off as some desperate clinging author wanna-be (as so easily happens) I do not doubt the agents who face the daily slush avalanche would prefer to find a way to reply in some sensitive and human way, if they only had the time or could see through the surface of a less-than-stellar query.

Time does not allow much room for agents to appear as people to those they reject. Panic and anxiety and trying-too-hard rookie game play prevents authors from coming across as the next best-selling savvy and personable book club personality, so the hurly-burly comes from both sides.

Recently I swapped communications with an agent I'll call the Divine Miss M, who had a spam email disaster. I composed a brief note, with a suggestion of a preventative. We've connected, at least a little, maybe only to find some sympathy from each other for a few moments. I don't know if she'll wind up as my agent, but considering the many rejections I received and the horrific query letters that provoked them, those few very human messages stand out as just a little taste of how those who need each other in this industry will connect and form a superhero team to attack that bestseller list and conquer the summit. (I'm starting to see why I may have been rejected all those times. Maybe I should author comic books?) 

Could the answer be in the world of writer conferences, where people meet people, instead of text versus text? I know some agents do their shopping there exclusively, and they get the chance to see if the face behind the hot elevator pitch is as much of a potential media star as the book they present. (Nice package, there.) That's something that rarely has an opportunity to show itself in a query letter.

Maybe authors can post a brief YouTube pitch, and just send the link off to likely agents? Many, however, not only will not open attachments, they don't often state in what form they can use additional material requested, and virtually none will click on a link. There is some form of startled-bunny business model going around, and as a long-time techie, I wish I could allay their concerns. It's really not that bad out there, agents.

This will be worked out, in part, I'm sure. Already, sharp authors are approaching readers in ways never before attempted, forced in large part by the impersonal disconnect of ebooks. The first copy of THE KNUCKLEBOOK was an ebook, in .pdf format, swapped via email between me and my publisher, Ivan R. Dee. Not living in Chicago, I found that convenient, and so did Ivan, I'm sure; the whole book came together and saw publication in a matter of a few months--light speed for the industry.

I find agents who are otherwise respectable, who expressly ask for snail-mail queries. I have a big heart for all humans, even those in a time warp, so I'd be heartened to see those agents at least embrace email in part, if not entirely.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I'm mulling how to hand out copies of my QR code so fans with smartphones can zip right to this blog. I have at least one YouTube video up relating to my knuckleball how-to book, and I've emailed personal notes with a one-of-a-kind autograph to a couple of readers. The all-new concept of electronically signing a page in an ebook is cool. I'm also about to set up video chat, so I can get facetime with readers no matter where I am or where they are. Why not?

The point is: All that's necessary.

People connecting with people.

With imagination, this can be done in exciting ways as never before.

I'm looking forward to hearing your comments, and ideas.

--AOL AIM: schoolzone1331.

No comments:

Post a Comment