Thursday, April 28, 2011

Electronic Marketing

I run into a minority of literary agents who make at least a passing mention of their desire for authors who embrace electronic marketing.

Isn't it astonishing to you that it's only a minority? I, myself, wonder how many have a survival instinct, one you must have, if you want to exist in this new e-publishing landscape.

This is by no means a whine.

Any agent who mentions that gives me a light lift. The only issue with their listings as I see them is that they don't mention how a tech-savvy author (or author-to-be) should approach them, and just how much of the query should present that. I settle with a blog address with my personal contact info.

As soon as I get an agent, I'm ready to help them, and not the other way around.

The only reason why I haven't embraced everything cutting-edge already is that I not only don't have much time, and I don't see much reason for much e-marketing on a book that's been on the rack for a few years, which will never sell a million copies. I place my effort where it may pay off, not only for me, but for others.

Blogs, Twitter, email, there are easy ways to make a close connection with purchasers and fans. Here's an interesting and heartening example, from a few years back:

I logged on to my IM service and got a notice that one of the knuckleball fans on my message board was also on. I dropped a "HI... wassup?" and quickly discovered he was in the middle of his chem homework, and he needed help. I was a whiz at that in high school, and I quickly wound up explaining the difference between atomic numbers and atomic weights of elements depending on where they are on the Periodic Table.

Not because I'm an author of a nonfiction book. Because I could connect, the way the contact needed and wanted.

Funny, that of all the methods commonly mentioned to connect author and reader no matter where they are, IM is not mentioned.

I'm sold. It'll work.

One down.

Now I'm off to investigate electronically autographing ebooks... a cool concept that I've dabbled with by emailing personalized and autographed one-page notes.

Webcasting is on the shopping list, too.

I have a ColorNook in the house but it looks like I'll have to scoop up an iPad, just so I know how to deliver to it.

-- AIM IM: Schoolzone1331  

No comments:

Post a Comment